A twist on the traditional Thanksgiving stuffing. The Granny Smith apples not only provide a textual crunch to a traditionally soft side, but bring a surprisingly welcome tartness and freshness to the dish as well while the pecans bring a nutty warmth to the dish.
- Mrs. Cubbinson’s Traditional Stuffing
- Granny Smith apples, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- Mushrooms (optional add-on)
Homemade Turkey Stock:
- Turkey neck
- Giblets (optional)
- Boil water, turkey parts, onion, garlic, oregano, sage, and any additional spices for at least 60 minutes.
- In a large sauce pan (5 quart), melt butter on medium heat, sauté vegetables (mushrooms optional) until translucent. Remove from heat.
- Add stuffing mix, turkey neck meat, apples pieces, pecans, and stir in turkey stock gradually.
- Stuff turkey with stuffing (keeping spoon clean to avoid contamination.
- OVEN: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13″ casserole dish (3 quart) with non-stick spray.
- OVEN: Pour stuffing into greased casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover last 15 minutes for a crisper top.
This dish is also a great snack or lunch as you prep the rest of your Thanksgiving meal!