The Quill & Scroll International Honor Society for High School Journalists was established on April 10, 1926, and is based out of the University of Iowa. Cardinal City’s Tyro Times newspaper and Tyro Yearbook became members of this organization in 1930 and have competed and won many international writing and photo contests and plan n participating in the Yearbook Excellence Contest and News Media Evaluation process. Now our goal is to rebuild our Journalism program to its former glory.
This year, we have reactivated the society and have officially inducted six people into the Quill and Scroll International Honor Society: Ms. Olsen, Mrs. Schmidt, and Mr. Dos Remedios – our SBHS Journalism teachers, as well as Mrs. Baker (SBHS’s former Tyro Times Editor-In-Chief), Hazael Perez (Tyro Times Reporter/Resurrector/Advocate and Yearbook Editor-In-Chief), and Destiny Aguilera (Tyro Times Reporter and Editor).
To be eligible for induction into Quill and Scroll, students must meet the following five requirements:
- They must be of sophomore, junior or senior classification.
- They must have a B grade average or be in the upper third of their class in general scholastic standing, either for the year of their election or for the cumulative total of all high school work.
- They must be members of a journalism organization (staffers of a magazine, newspaper, yearbook, news organization, online site or radio/television station at the school, or one conducted by an external organization) and have done superior work in the organization.
- They must be recommended by the supervisor or by the committee governing the media.
- They must be approved by the Quill and Scroll Executive Director.
Congratulations to San Bernardino High School’s 2017-2018 inductees!